Sunday, December 19, 2010

Chapter 13 - Neighbors


“I get by with a little help from my friends.”

John Lennon and Paul McCartney

It was April when the Cranstens moved in next door to the Mahoneys. The big Allied moving van drove up early in the morning. Two big fellows got out of the truck and started to unload. Len was really excited. He sat out front watching the moving guys carry box after box into the house. Around 10:00 a wood paneled station wagon pulled up and a family of four got out. This was the moment Len had been waiting for. The little boy looked about the same size as Len. Len waved and the little boy waved back.

After lunch Len asked his mom if he could play with the new boy instead of working with Mr. Curuthers. Margaret said it was OK and Len was out the door like a shot.

He ran next door to where the little boy was playing outside in the front yard.

The little boy looked up as Len ran up. A huge smile lit up his face and he said,”Hi.” A woman wearing saddle shoes, a plaid skirt, and a white button shirt came outside. She said,”Hi, my name is Ruth. This is Jack.  We’re your new next door neighbors. What’s your name?”

Len said, “My name is Leanord Mahoney. Can Jack come and play?”

Ruth looked at Len for a long time. She had never heard a three year old speak so well. She thought that perhaps he was really small for his age.

“Where will you be playing?

“I’ve made a small pond for a family of squirrels behind our house. I thought we could go there and play.”

“Why don’t I walk over there with you and meet your mom.”


Ruth knocked on the Mahoney’s door with one child holding each hand.  Margaret got up from reading and waddled over to the door wondering if the new neighbors were having some problem with the Denver Steel apartment already.  She opened the door holding her pregnant belly with her left hand and pulling the door open with her right.  She immediately pushed open the screen door to see a woman staring at her belly holding the had of what must be her son who was holding Len's hand.


“Hi, I’m your new neighbor, Ruth. Ruth Cransten. Len was pretty anxious to play with Jack. If you don’t mind me asking, how old is Len?”


“I get that question all the time. He’s three and a half going on nineteen. He’s an exceptionally gifted child. I can’t tell you how happy I am that we finally have some neighbors with a boy about the same age as Len. I’m sorry, I’ve been standing here in the doorway without inviting you in. Come in. We can have some coffee and we can get acquainted. Oh yeah, I’m Margaret Mahoney.”


Margaret walked Ruth back to the back door and showed her where the kids would be playing.

“What a beautiful back yard. I really like gardens.”

Ruth got a little nervous and said, “They won’t go outside the chain link fence will they?”

“Yes they will, but only down to that large rock you see. Don’t worry about a thing, Len is really good that way. He won’t do anything that might get them hurt and he won’t let Jack do anything either.”

Len opened the door and said, “Nice meeting you Mrs. Cransten. Come on Jack, wait till you see this.”

Jack smiled at his mom and followed Len out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please provide any feedback you can so that I can improve my writing.