Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Chapter 18.1 - Solace

SOLACE

“What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore...
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over...
like syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?”
- Langston Hughs

Margaret looked for the high school sweetheart she had married in the man drinking a beer in front of the fire.  Tom took a drink and dropped the can into the paper sack full of cans.  Somewhere in that thin round shouldered frame was the man she loved.

“What’s the matter Margaret?  Isn’t a guy allowed a few weekend beers?”

“Let’s do something Tom.  We could ask the Cranstens to watch Len and take a walk around the golf course.”

“You can’t take me away from my misery that easy.  Leave me alone for awhile, Margaret.  Wait.  Why do you think we lost Jen and my Dad?  I shouldn't have let them go out on New Years day.”

Margaret held back her tears and said, “Oh, the roast,” and headed into the kitchen.

Tom shook his head and opened up the next beer.  In the corner their dog Sherrie was looking at him with her ears back.

“What’s all that fuss about, Sherri?” 

Sherri gave a little whimper spotting Tom's creased eyebrows and smelling his fear.

Tom spotted Len as he quietly made his way from the stairs to the door.  "Where do you think your going?"

"I think I'll see if Jack can play outside before dinner."  Len said.

"Yeah, be careful."  Tom took another drink.



Copyright © 1993 - 2010 Philip Regenie, All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please provide any feedback you can so that I can improve my writing.